Saturday, November 15, 2008

Good and Bad.

Headed to the American Embassy at 7.30AM and walked out of the building at 12 noon. The procedure went like this: wait, document check, wait, payment, wait, fingerprinting, wait, interview.

Any wonder why they say we spend a great deal of our lives waiting?

Nevertheless, my F1 visa has been granted and I'll be collecting it on the 18th!




On another note, today I worked my last shift at Hogs. It was a sudden decision made in the midst of lunch shift, after a woman told me that she's been waiting for her dessert for 10 minutes when it hasn't even been 5 minutes. Guess what? The moment I turned away from her table, the dessert came.

I'm sick of customers lying through their big fat mouth that they've waited this long for their food to arrive. You have a serious case of time-misconception, and I STRONGLY urge that you consult a doctor. Don't go around exposing your illness to the world, especially to us servers. We don't fucking care! Get it?

Don't lie. It makes you a BIG FAT LIAR, and that is fucking unattractive. You might never get laid because of that. So for the sake of your prospective carnal pleasure, DON'T LIE.

I was scheduled for night shift as well, but I felt that it's really time to go. Besides, Friday is always busy and I might snap during work. Waited for Raymond to arrive and told him about it. He was setting up the sound system for the liveband and upon hearing the news, stopped and came to me.


"What happen? Did something happen during lunch?"

"No. You know how a person is able to sense that it's time to leave? I'm reaching my limit and I know that, therefore I want to leave before I snap."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, it's okay."

"You know, to be the best in this industry, you have to be a really good actor. It's all the same. Don't care about them. There is nothing to get upset over."

"I know. But I don't want to pretend anymore."

"Come here."

"I just want to leave. I've gotten Khai to replace my shift on Sunday, but I can't find anyone for tonight and tomorrow. I know that you're only short of 2 for tonight."


"Finish tonight. I don't give a damn about tomorrow night. I'll make do with it."

"We've experienced shortage of 7 before, so having a short of 3 will be fine. Besides, I didn't put my schedule on Saturday. You put it. So yes, you can deal with that."

"Finish tonight Elise. Be strong for me."

"But who's gonna be strong for me?"

"I will."


My tears were already welling halfway through the conversation, and upon hearing the last sentence, and with him putting his arm around me, my emotion broke loose.

I promised to be back for the night and give my best effort as a great finish. Headed to Raffles City for some nice papers and little clips. Wrote mini letters to the crew.

Didn't announce that it was my final night, therefore not many people know about it.

Almost like a silent departure. Don't wish to make a big deal out of it.


And so yes, I'm no longer working at Hogs. But it's been a great period. I'll definitely miss the crazy crew.

And now, it's time to catch up on the much needed rest, and to repay my sleep debt.

No comments: